Jari Pirjola’s unbroken succession of Lännen multipurpose machines has continued up until his newest M series machine, largely due to their ability to hold their own on any site whatsoever. If there’s one environment that puts the man-and-machine combination to the test, it is the construction of urban infrastructure.
- I’ve negotiated with other manufacturers as well, of course, but always ended up doing a deal on a Lännen machine. I’ve told the machine sales reps that they can offer me anything, but I won’t buy just anything, for any price, says Pirjola.
Jari Pirjola and his Lännen 8700M quickly fetch a bucketful of gravel from a couple of blocks away and then lower it into the pit. Wasting no extra time.
Around town and on the home farm with a Lännen multipurpose machine
Back when he took over the care of his home farm, Pirjola bought a used backhoe for clearing ditches. But at some point, he was asked to do drainage work and gradually needed to move on to better machines.
The first of his Lännen multipurpose machines, of which he’s had nine so far, was a machine of the 800 series with a rigid frame. Little by little, he got called away for work increasingly often and by now has worked with the town of Riihimäki alone for well over twenty years. And with a Lännen machine for all those years.
There are plenty of jobs on a farm for which a Lännen multipurpose machine is ideal. Its strength becomes apparent in the unloading and handling of big bags, for instance.
- When you stick to new, powerful, and versatile machines, you also serve your client. The technology is always state-of-the-art, and you have all the features in use. The jobs offered by the town of Riihimäki are so diverse in nature that the machine must be capable of pretty much anything.
- Even in daily transfer drives, it can reach speeds of almost fifty kilometers an hour if you put the pedal to the metal. It also has power in the front bucket and breaking force on the backhoe side. And when you’re unloading or loading stuff, the Lännen machine easily matches a wheel loader.
Pirjola has high praise for the cabin equipment, control devices, noise level and visibility.
The new Lännen model feels better than the previous one
- The hydraulics in this M model is better than in the previous one, and the wheels are also bigger, adding to the machine’s stability. The controllability has also improved. The loader is stronger and they’ve also improved many details at the factory.
- The engcon at the end of the boom has been fitted to the machine’s own system and can be controlled directly through the machine’s screen.
- A multipurpose machine of this kind should be more widely known, so that a greater number of young contractors could take on more diverse work, rather than trying a gain a foothold in the market solely with a rotating machine.
"The Lännen multipurpose machine is usually the first machine to arrive at and the last machine to leave a site. Erecting traffic signs, on-site ballasting, transferring materials and filling in pits at the site, and finally leveling the layers and surfaces of roads with the bucket to provide the blacktopping crews with a reasonably finished surface. You can also level off and compact the soil driven to a site with the heavy machine. And when the operator of a Lännen machine leaves a site, they collect the traffic signs and finalize the work."
”Clients aren’t always aware of everything a Lännen machine is capable of”
- Many towns have no idea of all the things a Lännen multipurpose machine is capable of, and easily at that. That’s a little inefficient, given that the machine is on site. At Riihimäki, the Lännen multipurpose machine is put to good use.
- Elsewhere, you can often see excavators being put to work on jobs that’d be easier and faster to do with the Lännen machine, which would also be able to move from one job and site to another in a matter of minutes.
- This Lännen machine provides so many opportunities for carrying out so many work phases simultaneously, or one after or on top of another, that you can’t even picture all of them, says Pirjola.
Foreman Ilkka Mallenius works on earthmoving, road maintenance, and water supply sites in the Riihimäki area.
Ilkka Mallenius values efficient sites and versatile machines. The professional teams of Riihimäki’s public works department need the most suitable machines and skilled operators for them on their sites.
- The town of Riihimäki has only one machine of its own, which is why we rely on contractors on this site as well. We’ve cooperated with Jari for a long time now, and that’s also why he knows the sites, the people, and the conditions.
The Lännen multipurpose machine is usually the first machine to arrive at and the last machine to leave a site.
Erecting traffic signs, on-site ballasting, transferring materials, filling in pits at the site, and finally leveling the layers and surfaces of roads with the bucket to provide the blacktopping crews with a reasonably finished surface. You can also level off and compact the soil-driven to a site with the heavy machine.
And when the operator of a Lännen machine leaves a site, they collect the traffic signs and finalize the work.
This picture gives a good idea of the cabin’s spaciousness and the size of its glass surfaces. The seat swivels easily in the spacious cabin and the operator can let themselves out easily with the help of the sturdy steps. Its multipurpose nature makes the machine more environmentally friendly than you’d think by looking at the emissions alone. Fast transfers from one town site to another are essential for a service machine. Even without a trailer, a fifty-kilometer operating radius is by no means a stretch for a Lännen multipurpose machine.
There’d be plenty of work in Finland for even more Lännen multipurpose machines and skilled operators
Mallenius’s experiences of a Lännen multipurpose machine’s ability to take care of a construction site’s needs are exclusively good.
- Luckily there are these machines and good operators. This machine is so versatile and powerful that it can handle the work of both an excavator and a wheel loader, and everything in between.
-The ability to transport goods and materials is one of the important characteristics of a Lännen multipurpose machine. The teeth are used for the unloading and loading of goods. And when you have several sites around the town, the machine can visit another site for a while and then return to the original one. The transfer speed is high and there’s no need for a trailer.
- Jari’s Lännen multipurpose machine is often the only machine on site. It lends itself to everything, adds Mallenius.
The article written by Juhani Viitanen was originally published in HankintaVinkit magazine in the summer of 2021.